Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Boathouse at Kingston Mills 10" x 12" O/P
This painting is from a beautiful day painting at Kingston Mills. Kingston Mills is the first lock in a series of locks on the Rideau River. The Rideau River flows between the city of Kingston at the east end of Lake Ontario and Canada's capital city of Ottawa.


This piece is painted on a Masonite panel, prepared with three coats of gesso and a final coat of orange-red acrylic paint.
My palette for this painting was Ultramarine Blue, Cadmium Yellow M., Alizarin and White. During the course of painting, I added Yellow-Green, as well as some Cerulean Blue when it came to painting the sky.

The above photograph is a view of the scene that I painted at Kingston Mills.
'til next.

4 comments:

Ed Terpening said...

Great work, Frank. Thanks for posting the reference photo--it's great to see how you interpret a scene.

Bill Sharp said...

Another great piece, Frank. Thanks for visiting my blog recently.

BTW, I finally got off my butt and placed an order for your book. I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Frank A. said...

Thanks, Bill. I hope that the book lives up to your expectations.
I have not had a chance to try your palette and idea from your class yet. But,..plan to. :-)
Liked your last piece that I saw.(sea scape, rocks.) A real eye catcher.

take care..

Frank A. said...

Hi Ed, nice to hear from a "busy you". :-)
Usually, I forget my camera and do not always get a reference pic. Or, I have it and forget to take the pic. Do not know why it worked out this time.. anyway, you are welcome.

stay well..