Tuesday, November 13, 2012


Ontario Century Barn   10" x 12"    O/P

This old Ontario barn was painted on a pre gessoed and stained Masonite panel. The stain that was applied after the two coats of dried gesso was a grey acrylic, a number five value or as close to it as I could get.
I think that the most interesting thing about this painting in the limited palette that I used for the first time. I think it is a ' fall ' palette or at the very least, it has the feel and look of autumn.
The colours for this palette were, cadmium yellow med., cad. yellow lemon, venetian red, transparent red oxide, ultramarine blue and titanium white. 
While painting with this palette I found that that I did not use the lemon yellow, which was just my preference. It did not take me long to realize that the venetian red was a very powerful "take over" colour to be used sparingly while mixing .
In retrospect, I think some of the most interesting colours discovered during the mixing for this  painting were left on the palette .

It is an interesting palette and worthy of further use and discovery, before the snow comes.

'til next... 


No comments: