Tuesday, September 04, 2012
A Little Project
Monday Wash Day 10" x 12" ..Oil / Panel
For the last couple of weeks, life and hot summer have been playing havoc with my life and painting timetable. Finally, I have been able to get some sort of semblance of my painting past . I am sure that this has happened at one time or other to all of us.
In this painting I thought that I would try to do something a little more different than the usual. Perhaps it is my excitement at "getting back at it" after a time of not smelling oil paint.
I set up a little project with limitations that I thought would be challenging and at the same time stretch my imagination.
The palette for this 'experiment' was, burnt umber, ultramarine blue, yellow ocher Venetian red and titanium white, to start.
From here, the object was to mix different values of grey ( monochrome) from the ultra blue , burnt umber and white.
With these grays, (warms and cools) I added or mixed the original limited palette (yellow ocher, blue, Venetian red ) and painted the scene, alla prima .
Okay, so I had to cheat a little...I added Prussian blue to my palette. As the painting developed. I found that the yellow ocher and ultramarine blue did not give me the value of green that I needed for the trees etc. ...Perhaps it was a little strong. Hmmm, live and learn.
It was a fun project and did stretch the imagination.