Monday, July 16, 2012

...From The Sketch...


This is the color sketch from which the following oil painting was derived . The composition is close , but as a studio painting without the photo as a color reference, the finished work takes on a whole new "look and feeling".
 The  painting is left to your fancy, a 'paint as you go', if you will.


Camden Braes G & C   ..10" x12"   ..O/P

This piece was painted on a Masonite panel that was not stained . Only the white of the gesso.
I used my limited palette for this piece, adding a couple of extra colors, "just in case".
The colors were, rose, cad red light, Prussian blue, cerulean blue, cad yellow med., yellow ocher and titanium white.
My additional colors were, chromium oxide green and yellow green (lime).

A fun painting to do if one does not yield to the temptation of peeking at the reference photo.

'til next...




2 comments:

David King said...

I like this very much. This is something I've been meaning to do myself. I've come to the conclusion I'd rather sketch than paint outdoors, I'm glad to see a sketch can provide enough info to do a great studio painting.

Frank A. said...

David King..

Dave, thanks for your comment and compliment.
I agree with your thoughts in your intro.to your web sight about sketching."Intense,short 'and' fatiguing !"
I think that you may be interested in fellow artist and sketcher, Bill Sharp. Interesting "stuff" with sketches.

Really liked your web site !

billsharp.wordpress.com

Take care
Frank..