The Red Barn ..10" x 12" ..O/P
The panel for this painting was given a runny ( mineral spirits) wash of cad yellow, doctored with a touch of cad. red and then rubbed with a paper towel and left to air dry over night. I did this with the thought that when I applied the paint during the painting process, I did not want to blend or contaminate the fresh colour with the base colour of the panel.
For this piece, I used my limited palette.
My method for this painting was to lay in the darker value washes approximating the darker and darkest values of the objects in the scene. From this point, I continue to apply the lighter values over the previous darker values until I feel that I have reached a near finished stage.
It is at this stage that I begin to think about the sky colour and values.
In this piece, I really liked the effect of the painting, as it progressed, against the original colour of the panel, so, I decided to leave that colour as my sky colour.
All that was left to do now was to reproduce the base colour and apply the "air holes" for my trees. And of course, there are always the little finishing touches and fixes..
Finished ...and I am pleased with the 'look' and 'feel' of this painting. I think it 'works' !