Tuesday, March 13, 2012


East, Through Westbrook   (Formerly,  Westbrook Sunday)   ..11" x 14"   ..O/C

This piece was painted on a white gessoed canvas. I found it to be a strange and unfamiliar surface to paint on because my last number of paintings were executed  on Masonite panels over a long period of time.  I guess that I had become comfortable over time with that painting support. I did however remember and still liked the "bounce" or "springy" feel of the tight stretched canvas when the loaded brush was placed on the surface.
My personal preference has become to use Masonite panels for any painting sizes 11" x 14" and under and to use stretched canvas or linen for sizes over 11" x 14".
For most plein air work, I tend to stick to , 11 x 14, 10 x 12, 9 x 12 or 8 x 10. These are, to me, the most manageable to use and carry, especially during our unpredictable winter weather.
Durning warmer weather or summer when it is less windy, I have used stretched canvas in favourite sizes of, 12" x 16", 16 x 20, 20 x 24 and even 24 x 30.

This painting (formerly Westbrook Sunday), was painted over. The composition of the painting remains the same. The repainting better reflects the present mood and time.  Body text also remains the same.

...And larger just for fun...

'til next.


No comments: