Tuesday, September 13, 2011


The Apple Orchard   ...11" x 14"   ..O/P

This piece was painted at the former home of Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada's first Prime Minister. I have painted this home several times in the past.  This is the first for painting the orchard. It grows in the front yard between the fence at the street and the circular drive to the front of the house. The fence at the street may be seen in the background of the painting.

I used my usual limited palette for this painting, but as you may see, it was an exersize in the use of green paint and its' values. (But, I love the red.)  I did add veridian, sap green and yellow green to my palette.

The panel itself was not prestained so this meant painting on a white panel, In retrospect, perhaps this was not a good idea.

It was an interesting  piece to paint and posed a number of problems that had to be solved as the painting progressed. When it was all said and painted, I am most pleased with feeling of the abstract shapes that are suggested.

'till next..

2 comments:

Raz Darnell said...

do yo know what I love about your paintings? They're so impressionistic, but not so distorted that I can't picture myself standing in the scene. Sometimes I feel that my art is so realistic it's not creative. That I can't do anything else. Maybe I'm afraid to step outside the box of photo references and realism. You inspire me.

Frank A. said...

Raz Darnell..

Raz, please accept my applogizes for not getting back to you sooner.

" They're so impressionistic, but not so distorted that I can't picture myself standing in the scene "

Thank you for that "high" compliment. :)
It has been a continual fight to just accomplish in my paintings those same feelings for all who would view them.
So, you are not alone on where you are coming from.

"That I can't do anything else. Maybe I'm afraid to step outside the box of photo references and realism."

I have been there, more than once !
That was when I decided to try plein air painting.
That was when I became "unlocked", so to speak.
I am happy that I can inspire you to continue with your work. That is one of the 'things' this painting thing is all about.

Keep at it !