Tuesday, May 17, 2011
Junkyard Daisies 2 ..16" x 20" ..O / C
This is the result of having the previous painting (Junkyard Daisies) staring me in the face every time I sat down . Since it was a preliminary "sketch" for a much larger painting that was not to be, I decided to make some " spring" revisions. I ended up reworking the whole painting before I was satisfied with the result.
From the top of the painting down to the bottom of the barn,(background and middle ground) I decided to add different values of 'grays' to my mixtures of colours to help neutralize them. The car and foreground were mixed as usual but without the 'gray' mixtures. I think that these foreground colours look richer because they are supported or backed up by the "duller" grayed background colours, IMHO.
I used my usual limited palette, and odourless mineral spirits. The paint had to be applied a little thicker because of the texture of the previously dried painting on the canvas. Some areas of the dried painting may be seen in some areas. (barn)
This was an interesting painting for me as I usually do not rework a previously painted canvas or panel.