Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A Sydenham Street Home 5" x 7" O/P

I do not usually paint on a panel this small. They just do not seem to give one much elbow room to "get into it". But at the same , they do provide a nice size to warm up for the next painting.
It seems that no matter what size brushes one uses, others are still likely to advise you to use larger brushes. With this size panel, It seems to me, every brush is that larger brush.
This panel had two coats of gesso roughly applied to the surface, followed after drying, by a 'pinky-red' mixture of runny oil paint. I then evaporated the wet mixture with a hair dryer. I followed this procedure by rubbing the remaining residue into the surface with a rag or paper towel in order to even the mixture on the gessoed surface.
My palette for this painting was my usual limited palette. As a matter of fact, it was the paint on my palette that was left over from the previous painting day.
All in all, I think that it was a good exercise, with "bigger brushes", even if I had to fool myself into thinking so. I was happy with that !
The scene..
'til next..

No comments: