Horse Farm 8" x 10" O/P
Well, back to a winter painting, although the snow is slowly beginning to disappear. It seems that this has been one loooonngg winter.
This painting began with a very loose smear of dark colour, a combination of Yellow Ochre and Burnt Sienna. I roughed in the barn shapes and the middle ground trees on the right side of the painting. I then loosely covered the foreground with a lighter wash of the same colour combination. From here, I used my finger to smooth out the the darker and lighter values to get as close as I could to the scene. (considering the light) This method, I feel, also helps to give some nice 'lost and found' edges.
I used a piece of cloth, wrapped around the end of a brush handle to take the bits of colour out where I wanted lighter values to show, even down to the colour of the board for the l lightest. From here it seemed easier to begin applying the lighter colours and values over the darker smeared background, and continuing working to the end of the painting.
From this point, it was a matter of cleaning up the drawing (plus 'add' a few details) and rechecking the values.
It was a fun little painting to do.