Thursday, December 11, 2008

Rock'n Snow With Shadows 10" x 12" O/C
.
Well, It looks as though the winter painting has finally started for real. It was a little 'nippy' yesterday as the temp hovered around 12*F. It takes awhile to get acclimatized. This temp. certainly makes for a faster painting

I basically used my limited palette of Alizarin, Cadmium Yellow M. and Ultramarine Blue. As I painted, I also introduced Cerulean B. and Green, all the while, adjusting the fluidity of the paint to the colder conditions.
The enlargement below shows the texture and paint application and the effect the cold may have had in the 'hurried look' of the piece.
Thanks for dropping in.
'Til next.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're a better man than I, Frank. I'd be huddled in my car with the heat blazing.

another beautiful piece. I admire how you keep your color so clean in spite of the aggressive application.

René PleinAir said...

Wow Frank, winter is in full force over there. It gives very nice scene though. What do you use to keep your paint fluid?

Great piece of art!

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill..Sorry about getting back to you so late. Thanks for your comment. As messy as my palette may be, I think that the secret in this case is the,"stroke layed is a stroke stayed" rule.Seems to work best once one has decided on what color to lay. :-) With the 'mess' on my palette, that color can be pretty 'ugly'..sometimes.
Still liking the look of your blog and really *neat paintings.(*how is that for dating ones self) :-)

Take care..

Anonymous said...

Howdy Rene. Nice to hear from you ! Thanks for your compliment.
Usually, I temper the paint with my medium (oms)as I paint.(experience helps here) So,the paint freezing or getting stiff has never to my mind, been a problem at any cold temperature. During the winter , I will change my Tit. White to a "soft formula Tit. white" made by "Winton". That's about it. Other than that, I tend to use a very limited palette. I hope that answers your question.:-)
May you and yours have a Merry Christmas, and Happy Painting in the new year.

Take care..