If this seems familiar to you, it is because it is the same scene or close to the same (winter) scene that I used last year for my Christmas card.
I started this painting on a red-orange gessoed panel. My palette for the start of this piece was the same palette that I experimented with last week. That palette was, Yellow Ochre, Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Sienna and Titanium White. I feel that this is a good fall season palette but does have it's limitations. It does lack the "brights" that I favour on sunny fall days.
For this reason, I added Cadmium Yellow Med., Alizarin, Sap Green, and Cerulean Blue. These colours I used later in the painting to add the "zip" that I could not get by continuing with the three "experimental colours".
The values and colour temperature were a bit shocking and a challenge to 'sit right' in the painting.
In all, it was a good challenge.