Wednesday, August 20, 2008

"Kingston Mills' Pond" 16" x 20" O/P


This is today's effort under a hot sun. A welcome change from all the rainy weather that we have been having as of late. After getting into this painting, I thought that I may have bitten of more than I could chew in selecting a 16" x 20" panel to cover, considering high temperature.

The palette for this panting was Cobalt Blue, Ultramarine Blue, Alizarin Red, Cadmium Red Medium, Cadmium Yellow Medium, Cadmium Yellow Light, Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna, Chromium Oxide (green) Purple and Titanium White.
Brushes of various sizes were used during the execution of this piece. Very little medium was used. The medium was Odourless Mineral Spirits .




This is a photo of the scene that I attempted to paint today. As you can see, between it and the painting, a lot of editing was done on the painting. It is surprising how different the scene seems when painting it under natural light and when compared to seeing it as photographed.



In this photograph you can see my set up for the painting. For some reason, I selected my old easel and paintbox . No idea why, but it felt somewhat like going back to one's roots. This is the same paintbox that I used when I got back into painting on a more regular basis. I think it was around 1975... longer than I sometimes care to remember. The easel pictured, I think is the fourth.
Even with the heat, it was a great day of painting, and the 'flashbacks' made it even more so.

'til next..














No comments: