Tuesday, February 26, 2008

"Winter Birches" 10"x 12" O/Gessoed Panel

Strange, after scouting around for a subject to paint and being disappointed at not finding anything, how a subject right under my nose, or in this case, beside the road, can become the centre of attention and ultimately "the scene".
I feel that there is a danger in preconceiving in one's mind, the perfect subject to paint and then wasting valuable time searching, and never finding it.
I learned again, ..it is important to keep an open mind from the start.
The support for this piece was a Masonite panel, gessoed and a final coat of number five value gray acrylic paint applied to the surface.
My palette for this piece was , Ultramarine Blue, Cobalt Blue, Alizarin, Cadmium Yellow Med., Lemon Yellow, Indian Yellow, Veridian, Sap Green and Titanium White. This was a change from my usual palette and I feel the additional colours were suggested by the scene.
In the end, with an open mind, a motive that presented itself, was recognized.
'til next..

12 comments:

Jean Levert Hood said...

as usual, I love your work, Frank!
Great energy and color to this piece.

Papierflieger said...

Hello Frank,
this is a fine piece.. I like the somewhat soft,subtle light and the stillness that you managed to get into it. I feel taken into an intimate observation of beauty.

Do you have plans for an exhibition this year ?

Frank A. said...

Jean,appreciate you dropping in and commenting.I thank you for the compliment.

Take care..

Frank A. said...

Martin,(edition handdruck) as always..nice to hear from you. Thank you for your kind description and observations of the painting. It is nice to know that every once in awhile a painting can provoke a "feeling". :-)

I think there is or may be an exhibition slated but am unsure of the dates. I leave this in the hands of the gallery. You know how this can be..Thanks for asking.

Take care..

rob ijbema said...

the white verticles of the birches work very well Frank,they are dancing for attention,so beautiful!
yes no good making plans when you go out,a lot depends on the light.

Frank A. said...

...You're right, Rob. In a nutshell, it all depends on the 'light'.

"they are dancing for attention,so beautiful!"

I love your description, Iwill have to remembr that one. Thanks for your comment and compliment, Rob.

See y'u 'round the bend. :-)

Frank Gardner said...

Great. You are probably getting sick of winter by now Frank, but I am going to be sad to see it go. Love These!
Where do you sell your work? Do you sell through the blog?
Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated.

les lull said...

Nice piece Frank. Congrats on keeping it together with a ton of information. You still still kept a strong simple statement. Your brushwork is always fantastic.

Frank A. said...

Frank..Thanks ! The only thing about winter that I dislike at this time is, 'the shovelling' ! Having said that, spring is awaited, :-)

"Where do you sell your work? Do you sell through the blog?"

My work at the present time is sold through a local Gallery.
I have been giving some thought to offering my paintings over this blog. Although, at this point, I am not sure what that would involve. :-) I guess it is a work in progress.

Take care.

Frank A. said...

Thanks Les, always appreciate your comments. :-) Thanks for dropping in..

Happy fishin'

Cara said...

Wonderful color choices in this painting - I love it

Frank A. said...

Cara,.. Thank you very much for your comments. Appreciate them.. Hope things are going well for you.

Take care.. :-)