This was a fun painting to do because it gave me the opportunity to work on a much larger canvas than I would normally use during a plein air painting session. Secondly, it afforded me the time to feel how I would "fit" into my new studio environment. ...It was a good fit!
Wednesday, January 24, 2007
This is a small piece that I had painted earlier in the fall of '06. I have looked
at this painting for a while now and finally decided that it is worthy of redoing as a larger piece.
With this small painting, some photo reference and a few "thumbnail" sketches (similar to the method mentioned in a past post) and a gesso prepared canvas, (30"x36") it was a go.
I proceeded to lay in the biggest over-all shapes onto the canvas and then gradually break these big shapes down into their smaller shapes. This was done with a rather "soupy" mixture of Ultramarine Blue and a small amount of Alizarin, brush (No. 10) and a rag. (can't have the colour running onto the floor, right?)
The medium used at this stage was OMS. (odourless mineral spirits)
It looked as though a plan was coming together...
This is the result of that planning. The painting is a studio piece that was painted over a period of a week to ten days. Now, mind you, I did not labour over this painting every day for eight hours. During the days or evenings that I worked on it, the average time spent was around three hours. In some cases, I worked "wet into wet" and in other periods I would allow time for semi-drying or complete drying before applying more paint. This method of painting does take time compared to the "alla prima" method ( finished in one go) This would account for the over all time taken to complete the painting. If you were wondering, actual painting time, if I had to guesstimate, was approximately twelve hours.
The palette for this painting was, again, a limited palette. I used my basic palette of, Ultramarine Blue, Alizarin, Cadmium Yellow Medium and added Cadmium Lemon Yellow and Cerulean Blue. As I have in the past, as the painting developed, I added colours as I felt needed. For this particular painting, I added a Veridian Green, Cadmium Red and Raw Sienna. ...And of course, Titanium White.