Friday, December 29, 2006

"At The End Of The Lane" 10"x12" Oil / Panel

This is a limited palette painting. The colours were, Alizarin ,Cad. Yellow M., Ultramarine Blue and Titanium White. As the painting progressed, I used Earth Green and a spot of Indian Red, which you may notice in the chimneys and the rust on the metal roof of the house.

After a rough layout of the main shapes on the panel, (and noting the direction of the light) I decided to add an extra challenge. I would try painting this picture with as few "reference glances" at the subject as I could. A sort of self-imposed colour memory challenge.

In some areas the colour does look a little on the creative or expressive side but I do not feel that this is a bad thing. In some cases I think that this can add to the "liveliness" of the painting.

As I neared what I thought was the finish of the painting, I began taking more frequent and longer glances at the subject, all the while checking values and edges.
I found that the volume of different objects compared to the original subject (scene) looked flat by comparision. More time was spent in these areas.

The results of this exercise may be seen in the above painting, "At The End Of The Lane".

Yup, still waiting for snow !

'til next.




No comments: