Wednesday, November 30, 2005

So, here we are. Another moment from the near past. This picture shows one of the many studies of light and shadow that Monet did from his studio window of the Cathedral in Rouen, France. His studio was across the street from the front of the Cathedral.
Rouen is also noted as being the city in which St. Joan of Arc was burned at the stake.


While I was painting in Rouen, I had the opportunity to paint in Monet's studio. How fortunate and humbling is that ?
The photo shows the Cathedral as it is looks today. I took this photograph from the same window that I thought Monet may have used to view the Cathedral for his studies.
While I was there, the facade of the church was being refurbished. As you can see in the photograph, the scaffolding has been erected for the work that was already in progress. Usually there are many statues in the nooks, but in this picture, they have been removed for the renovation, which seems to be ongoing .


And finally, myself and a Dutch Canadian painter friend set up in Monet's studio.
... What a thrill !
Til next...

No comments: