Monday, October 03, 2005

...And from the near past, this painting is 16'x20' and is oil on stretched canvas and is from a private collection.

See y'u...


Another beautiful autumn day to get out and paint.
Today I thought that I would try to do something different by experimenting with my palette. By that, I mean that I would try to work with colours that I would not normally use. So, this painting will be a real "search and destroy" effort.
Again, this will be a "limited palette". This is a palette that is normally used by the American painter, Kenn Backhaus. The colours are, Ultramarine Blue, Alizarin Crimson, Perm. Rose, Raw Sienna, Cadmium Lemon Yellow, Titanium White and Ivory black.
So, let's see what has happend.


This painting is 11"x14" and is oil on stretched canvas. "Field's Edge"


Mixing of the colours was a little unusual in that black was now on my palette. Black is a colour that I have never had on my palette before. I found that it was a little harder to establish my darks the way that I would normally do without getting into the black. Using black made beautiful greens that could be modified with the other blues , reds and raw sienna. The learning curve was a little sharper than I thought it would be. This palette will certainly be a "work in progress".

No comments: