Luke Edwards #17, The Carleton Place Canadians Jr.A , CCHL 48" x 40" Oil/Canvas
This is a portrait that I have painted over the last four days. It is a portrait of the younger of my two grand children playing for Niagara University in upstate New York. Both young men are playing on a full athletic scholarship for a N.C.A.A., Division One, hockey team .
A team from Carleton Place, Ontario, that Luke was a member of, played and won their way to the Canadian National Jr.A final Championship Tournament in British Columbia in the spring of 2014, only to loose in the final overtime game. A heart breaker !
I had in my mind to, in someway, keep the memory of that exciting spring adventure alive for Luke.
I decided that this portrait, (painted by his, "Poppy") would be my fitting way to do that.
"Merry Christmas, Luke." and ..."Thanks for the ride !" "till next...
This is an unusual format for me in that I do not as a rule paint many vertical paintings. In this particular case I decided on a vertical format because of the strong vertical lines of the dark trees in the original scene. It was a natural !
As much as it is a winter snow scene, I really liked the fall colours in this scene. The painting is almost a contradiction in itself. I suppose the colours could have less intense . In spite of it being winter, I still find the painting has a stronger appeal with the (exaggerated) mid autumn colours.
My colours, of course, were the limited palette of the last few paintings, without my usual favourites .
I was happy with the way that this painting turned out !
High And Dried Out 9" x 12" O/P
A typical early winter, cold rainy day in my neck of the woods. What to paint brings out the photo references. My pick for the day was this abandoned boat.
I used the limited palette and washed in the composition with a dark transparent red. This can readily be seen in the peninsula near the top of the painting. Where I did not want the reddish colour to show through, I left it blank in the layout. Such was the case of the area allowed for water just below the peninsula. I continued the red wash for the rest of the painting below the shore line to the bottom of the painting.
Rendering the boat, gave the rest of the "washy" red lay in a chance to set up or evaporate, thus allowing me to be able to apply further colour without the pigment sliding around on the panel .
With this method, I was able to complete the painting to the stage that is seen above in approximately two and a half hours. No prize for that, but it was a good "work out".